About Me

My photo
Kathryn Evans, PCV Corps de la Paix B.P. 10537 Niamey, Niger West Africa

Friday, November 27, 2009

Get Up and Go

Two weeks ago, I had to leave my village for safety reasons after there was an attempted kidnapping north of my village. I was not allowed to return and could not say goodbye to the people who I had grown close with and who had shared their lives and homes with me for two months. After digesting the initial shock of the situation, I have decided that I want to continue serving in Niger. PC has been in constant communication with Washington Headquarters and the US Embassy and has decided it is safe for Peace Corps volunteers to continue work in the rest of the country. I am now in Niamey, waiting to be reassigned to a new village. City life is fast, and I have realized that I had grown accustomed to country life, where I never had to look for cars before walking and where I could greet everyone on the street as I strolled to the mayor's office. Now I have to wait and "Sai Hankuri" until I have a new village to start a brand new chapter. So, until further notice, please send any mail to the following address:

Kathryn Evans, PCV
BP 10537
Niamey, Niger
West Africa

1 comment:

  1. Katy, I'm really sorry to hear that you had to leave the village so suddenly without a chance to say goodbye or provide a proper explanation. Having had a similar experience in Chad, I know how painful it must have been... I hope you end up in a new place where you're happy though, and wish you all the best as you continue with your service.

    ReplyDelete