About Me

My photo
Kathryn Evans, PCV Corps de la Paix B.P. 10537 Niamey, Niger West Africa

Sunday, November 1, 2009

Lost in Translation

Lost in translation-sometimes I do feel lost. Hausa and English are very different and it is difficult at times to not only be understood in language but in emotional expression as well. Hausa and English are starkly different languages both in terms of structure and in essence. Thank you. A pharse that Americans utter frequently. Hausa people, for the most part, do not say "thank you," and when I say it, people grin or even laugh at me. NO Hausa word for "please." Hausa is direct, "give,"come" "take" and "go." Quick, short, to the point. As Nigeriens shoot off one or two word phrases, I stumble through asking "Is there water?" "I am thirsty," skirting around what Nigeriens would say, which is "give me water." I feel uncomfortable demanding water without a "please" or "may I?" It sounds so abrupt, rude even. No polite way to cushion a demand. English has so many words to convey politeness to soften what we say. Words that convey how we feel, what we think and what we want or like. There are times when I find myself searching for a word, a way to express how I feel about something...but the words are not there. I get wordy, and I can read on the person's face to whom I am speaking that they have become lost in my Hausa, and not just the words, but why I feel the need to say what I am saying. Yet, Nigeriens say things that are glaringly obvious. When I arrive, they say "you are here." When I smile, they say "you are smiling." And, when I eat, they report to me, "you are eating." I think in my head "Of course, I am eating. You told me to eat and put the food infront of me." But instead I respond with "Yes, I am eating right now." Nigeriens paraphrase ideas in four, five or more ways. I was lost initially, lost in the jungle of words. I have realized though that if I understand the first sentence, I can understand it all.

It is frustrating to not be understood when speaking. Sometimes, despite my best efforts, the person listening to me stares at me with absolutely no recognition of what I am saying. It makes me feel alone, like I am screaming and waving my arms, yet no one can see or hear me. Language enables connection and recognition. To understand others and to be understood. To learn and to teach. Language can liberate. Language can demean. Sometimes, a villager will say to me "Babu Hausa," meaning "You don't know any Hausa." I immediately feel defeated and lost. Then an hour laterm I might hear "akwai Hausa sosai," meaning she hears Hausa very well. Ahh. My head perks up and I feel practically Nigerien. The power of words, expression, bringing people together and to life. As I continue to learn Hausa, I hope to draw a bridge so that I can find my place, feel better connected to the people, the culture and my community.

No comments:

Post a Comment